- Vacuum daily high traffic areas. Other areas 1-2 times a week.
- Use a vacuum with a rotating brush or beater bar. With higher profile, thick loop pile and shag and cable construction use a suction vacuum only.
- Get carpet professional cleaned every 18 months.
- Spills: Use a spoon to remove as much of spill as possible. Work from the outside of the spill to prevent spreading. Blot up liquid with white towel or paper towel. Try cleaning spill with warm water only first.
If spill remains try these steps in order:
- For greasy based stains use Goo Gone. Follow directions on package and then proceed to procedure A. For water based stains skip the Goo Gone step and move directly to procedure A
- Procedure A: 1/4 teaspoon of clear dishwashing detergent with 1 cup of water. Apply solution directly to white cloth. Wipe gently. Never rub, scrub or use a brush. Blot frequently. Rinse with warm water. Cover spot with towel and apply pressure. Rinse with warm water and re-blot until dry. If stain still remains perform the next procedure.
- Procedure B: (for coffee, tea and urine move to Procedure C). 2 Tablespoons of nonbleaching ammonia with 1 cup warm water. Rinse and blot as outlined in procedure A. Do not dry. Move on to procedure C to neutralize the ammonia solution.
- Procedure C: 1/2 cup white vinegar with 1 cup warm water. Apply solution and rinse and blot as outlined in procedure A.
For glue, gum and wax freeze and remove before using cleaning fluid